You're a Man Mommy!

Thank you so much for all your wonderful and encouraging words about my marathon!  I loved reading every single comment and they all made me smile.  I'm already planning my next race and excited to use what I learned from this one to improve. No matter how many times I've heard people tell me to start off slow and gradually increase speed in order to end the marathon fast and strong, I needed to learn and WANT this for myself!  Now I can't wait to get out there and try out this strategy.  I've never had a race where I experience negative splits like this and I'm eager to try my legs at it.  So thankful for experiences to learn from!
I'm taking this week off from running but I did ask wise Anna Maria for a swim workout that will help me keep my fitness and still give my legs a break.  So last night I hit the pool and did this:
400m warm up. Slow freestyle focused on good form.


 4X25m fast with equal rest in between (so, if it takes you 20 sec/25m, then rest 20 secs).
4X50m fast same as above
4X100m fast same as above
In all of these you want to finish strong, so your last 25 is all out, and the first 25 is your slowest.
100m IM (25 free, 25 breast, 25 fly, 25 back)
400m cool down. Slow freestyle focused on good form.

Thanks friend!  
A few of you have recently asked me what you can be doing while you are injured and can't run.  Swimming is an excellent way to continue to workout and maintain fitness.  Although I don't prefer being in the pool (Such a process!!), I did faithfully do swim workouts several times a week from September to December when I had my hamstring tear.  I was determined to maintain some level of fitness and it helped a lot!  I wish I had a picture or video of me trying to do the butterfly stroke.  Quite ridiculous!  I'm sure the people at the front desk had fun seeing the lone weirdo flopping around in the pool from their security screens.  I just hope they were not monitoring it.  If I worked the front desk, seeing this would have been all the entertainment I needed for the night.  


A few random things:


The awesome folks at Zensah sent me this racerback tank to try out and review.  I wore it today and I'm looking forward to running and racing in it.  I already love how long, loose but yet still fitting fit it has!  




So, we went to my kinder's song fest the other day.  Notice the "welcome" sign below.  Um, I think my husband and I were the only ones who lack maturity because we thought it was pretty funny.  Some of you will understand why but then I'm sure there will be plenty that just don't think like us and that is probably for the good.  Growing up is overrated.  



I took advantage of the SUN coming to visit today and we had an outside "beach" day in the backyard before afternoon kindergarten.  I could only manage sitting around on a blanket for so long before I got distracted and had to do something.  So I decided to take on the overgrown tree/bush by the back bedroom window.  It was blocking all of our "sun" that we don't get anyway.  I took out the appropriate tools from the garage and I went to town on that shrub!  My 6 year old daughter came over and said:

"You're a man mommy!  You're being a man!"

Okay, I guess my lack of desire to EVER do yard work of any kind has my kids thinking that only men do such things as trim trees, mow the grass, etc.  This goes along with gardening, using the BBQ, cleaning the car, etc.  Gosh, I'm lazy!  I really need to remedy this distorted perception of women that my daughters have.  Lots of yard work, mowing, fixing things, and getting off my lazy bum are in order in order.  Honey, if you're reading this on the way home from work, don't get too excited...it takes how many days to form a habit?!



I'm always thankful for my husband but I don't think I tell him enough.  Thank you honey!  You really helped to make my marathon weekend so special!

And same to you my dear soul sister Jenny!  Love you!



1.  I'm considering my first triathlon this summer before Hood To Coast.  I was considering an Olympic distance for my first time but now I'm thinking maybe a sprint would be better.  Thoughts on this?  And people in the Portland area, can you recommend a good end of summer or fall triathlon for beginners?  

2.  I posted on Runninghood's facebook this morning that I am ready to try out music in a race.  At least if I ever race another small marathon where I'm alone for miles and miles.  I asked you there but I'll ask again on here:  Will you please share some of your favorite songs on your playlist that would be good for a marathon playlist.  Thanks!!

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment