Remembering the Important Things

Self Pampering
Spiritual Food
New Running Shoes
Yoga and Stretching
Lots and Lots of Water
Time to Zone Out to "nothing important"
Balance Balance Balance!


Somewhere along the road of this marathon training cycle, I almost lost myself in trying to stretch myself too thin.  As the mileage increased and the workouts got more challenging, I started dropping one thing and then another from the above list so that I could fit in my "Miles" and get the workouts done.  The workouts were checked off but I was slowly chipping myself and my well being and centeredness off a little at a time.  I was trying to be Mom, Wife, Friend and Runner Extraordinaire.  And now here I am with hairy legs, dead toenails that still have remnants of my last pedicure in August, eyebrows that need plucking, tight muscles that have not been stretched properly, shoes that have been worn away....


So glad I had a wake up call and have picked up a little wisdom along the way.  I took yesterday off of running and today I just did some light elliptical at the gym with some yoga.  Now the agenda for the day is to:


*  get a pedicure
*  read a mindless gossip magazine
*  buy myself a coffee
*  Be thankful that I snapped out of my one-way track towards self-destruction and injury!  


Goals for the rest of my training:
*  Take time to really stretch!!  Not just the 1 minute job I've been doing
*  CROSS TRAIN...Hello!!!  I had every intention to doing spin on Thursdays.  Where did this go??
*  Yoga
*  New Shoes
*  Keeping my training in MY sweet spot and not pushing myself too hard.  It is easy for me to get caught up in comparing myself to what others are doing.  Especially people I respect and admire.  What works for them might not work for me and I need to do what works for me right now as a mother of 3 young ones!  50 miles a week is PLENTY for me!  And if I am going to increase, I need to do it gradually.  
*  Remember to fuel my body appropriately.  


And last but not least....


I plan to Enjoy this beautiful girl of mine on her 6th birthday weekend!  So thankful for her.  My sweet E!  


Is there anything that you've been forgetting to take time for?  What important things to you find yourself forgetting when life gets busy?  

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment