Garmin Grief

1.

Note: The following is not a serious and thoughtfully crafted poem meant to be looked at as quality writing.  It is merely me writing in free verse because I'm too lazy to write in narrative to tell about my poor Garmin.  

Oh Garmin
Enabler
Motivator
My coach
    on my wrist.


My pacer
    telling me 
that
I'm Right On!
Need to Speed Up
On track for a PR or
         That 
  I royally Suck Today!


You,
My Garmin
Me


You and Me.


Attachment
Love
Connected through the
      beep beeps
That tell me another mile has passed. 
My effort is being tracked.


Thinking now
about the years and years
                         That I ran alone,
                                     without you.
Only a watch,
a start, stop and lap.  
Good enough.  Until You.


But now, I regret not wearing you correctly. 


If only
My bony wrists 
Didn't hurt from 
your
Massive and awkward Size (okay, good thing this isn't a real poem because this totally sounds like a "That's what she said opportunity)
   So big that people 
make jokes about you at races
    "Did you watch movies on that thing?!"


So I took you off.
carried you, 
   while I jogged
my awesome race course 
   coming up in May (Hippie Chick).


Set you down to stretch.
And
Drove off without you.
You on my car, 
clinging on for dear life as I sped away,
Throwing you to your end.


You,
Abandoned
Alone
Afraid
in a parking lot full of teenagers
who


ran you over,
crushed your intelligence,
and left you to be alone with your final 
                   beep beep beeps


Now here you are...
Found but crushed
Only able to beep at me
   while I wipe your drool from your distorted screen.  


Grief
Mourning


Searching
on Amazon 
for 
Another
You.


or better version perhaps.  


You,
Garmin 205
  are 
expensive
intelligent
wise
 but


Disposable and
Replaceable.




1. So, now the question is.  Do I get another Garmin 205 (reasonably priced) or do I use this opportunity to get a better model? Or do I just try to run without one?   I'm thinking that I don't need all the bells and the whistles.  I've only had this Garmin since Christmas and I was fine without it but now I have been handicapped without it.  Or so it feels. 


2.  Last night when I was driving back to the crime scene to find Garmin, I found myself stressed, worried and really bummed out! But then I reminded myself that this was silly to get so bummed about something materialistic.  My true treasures are my family and loved ones.  Seriously, this put things in perspective and I was able to just let my silly Garmin go.  Even if I don't get a new Garmin right away, I have my family, a home and my legs to let me run!  Time for a little Old School Training like they did before these Garmins came into existence!  :)  Do you have a Garmin?  




Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment