Funny Memories and Lessons We Learn From Children

A story I found in one of my writer's notebooks that makes me smile.  I'm so glad I wrote this stuff down sometimes because I never would remember it and it makes me laugh to remember the things my oldest (now 5) used to say to me.  It was like having a little adult in the house watching me.  She surely kept me on my toes and helped make me a better person.  Still does.  This is when she was three:  

"Mommy, do you love me even when I make bad choices?", squeaked three year old E.  Of course she knew the answer would always be yes.  "Mommy, do you love my bad choices?"  

After i responded that I didn't love her bad choices but I loved her, I was attacked by the WHYS that dominate most conversation these days.  I explained why I didn't like when she hit her sister--it hurt her.  Why I didn't like when she screamed and threw a fit--it disturbed others and makes me sad.  I went carefully through each of her most frequent bad choices until she seemed satisfied. 

Several seconds passed and she announced, "Well, I don't like your bad choices either!"  She continued in detail to explain that she couldn't sleep when I talk to Daddy in a loud and unkind way.  She acted out what she meant in a whiney, irritated and naggy voice and she mimicked my bad side perfectly for a three year old impression.  "You don't want to watch the Office with me!!", she whined. ( I'm sure I said some thing to this tune...probably trying to convince him to not play his video game and join me on the couch).    

I thoughtfully apologized and asked her to forgive me.  She accepted my apology and asked me try harder.  She told me to just to to my room and close the door if I was going to talk like that.  Good point E.  Good point.  



1.  What are some lessons you've learned from your kids? 
2.  What is a funny story you remember about your kids, nieces, nephews, students, etc.?  A funny conversation, a humbling experience, a tantrum, an accident....?  I'd love to hear your stories and memories!  
3.  Thank you for all your great comments yesterday on my Habits of Happiness post...I hope to get some time to get back to each of you!  

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment