Running Journal Snapshot and Reflections of a Runner

Great news!  It isn't raining in Portland, Oregon today!  This is cause for serious celebration. Serious.  It wasn't raining last night either.  This meant that I got to do my repeat 1ks on the track OUTSIDE.  Unfortunately, I got pooped on by a bird but other than that, running outside was glorious! My repeats were not as good as I find myself doing on the treadmill though. The first 3 were right on at a 6:20 pace but then I got tired and found myself holding back a bit.  When I'm doing speed work at the gym I can just set the speed to what I want to run and then hold on.  And if I slow down then I'll fall off and make a total ass out myself right?  But when I'm on the track, it is so much easier for me to slow down.  On the other hand, I can see how it would make me a stronger runner to be able to push myself past these points without a treadmill to hold me to the pace.  I honestly think that the outside running and pushing myself to stay on pace will help me to be a stronger runner.  


Which brings me to some recent questions I'm reflecting on today.  I'm feeling tired this week and a big part of that is that I have not been getting enough sleep and feel like I'm getting a little sick.  But I've also just been tired with my running.  I'm hitting a lull with my "go get 'em" attitude and I'm starting to question where I'm at with running for fitness and fun vs. training for some big goals. Here are some questions I'm asking myself this week:


1.  Why am I training?  For fun, fitness, Personal Records, to push myself to entirely new levels of performance??  Why?  


2.  How serious do I want to be with running over the next few months, years?  Do I want to take it up a notch or two and try for some serious serious Personal records or do I want to just enjoy where I'm at and have fun with it?  


3.  Time for me to set some 1/2 or full marathon time goals!  It is kind of scary putting a time goal out there.  Always makes me feel vulnerable and like I have more to lose.  It is that fear of failure thing.  


I included these questions in my running journal today before I wrote this blog. I hope to have some answers for myself soon.  Here are a couple snapshots into my journal for today:


The Hippie Chick Half Marathon is my half marathon on May 8th!  Super excited about it!  Note Julie's (from Hot Legs Runner) running sticker! Thanks Julie.  I keep all my running stickers from all you awesome bloggers in my running journal.  Perfect place to be inspired by them.  





* So glad you all were amused by my messy house pictures and mad cleaning skillz video from my last post.  Your comments made me smile.  
*  Don't forget about my Hydration Belt Giveaway!  


What about you?  What are your answers to some of these questions I am reflecting on this week?  I'd love to hear how you would answer these for your own life!  


What are some time goals you have for running and what distances are your goals for?  


Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment